Saturday, July 3, 2010

Weight Loss Challenge Wk 1

The first week of our family weight loss challenge is complete. We had some bumps but the week went well over all. Like any change its taking some times for us to get used to it.

The Big Man didn't realize the honey-mustard dressing he was using on his salad had 13g of fat/2 tbsp. But he watched his portion size and made better choices during meals. It's hard for him to control what he goes into the food he eat during the week. He lives in a bunk house in a port town on the Gulf during the week where someone else cooks. The opportunities to workout are limited. No gyms with in a hour's drive and only a busy highway to run run on. But he has his own room do lift weights and do P90. Like anyone else, there are always challenges.

I decided to join weight watchers online. There's no time for a meeting but I need a way to keep track of my food intake. I guess I haven't been being honest to myself about what I eating. Hence, the 3lb weight gain. I tried WW a few years ago but I wasn't ready to face my food issues. I didn't keep up with it and I didn't loose any weight. This week has been tough but I'm learning. My morning coffee with honey and cream was killing me on points. So I adjusted the amount I'm using. My favorite lunch burrito place, well, that was obvious. I mean, I go into a food coma after eating the over-sized nachos. But I've been walking a 15mins here and there when I get a break at work. And I've I'm in love with the stationary bike. Not to mention my half marathon training. So far I've earned 35 activity points. But I burned thru them with dinner last night and a margarita. But I'm trying not to beat myself up about it.

The Big Man wanted to go for a family walk this morning. So we loaded the girls in the double jogger and headed out before the heat set in. The girls got out and walked a bit but MM was cranky from being woken up.  Li did a great job. Twice as far as she normally goes. We had a good time walked for a little over an hour.

We weighed in this morning to check our progress:


Big Man Δ (%) MegΔ (%)
Starting wt (lbs) 258 01820
Wk 1 wt (lbs) 255 .99177 .97

He's winning so far but not by much. We've got 7 more wks for me to catch him.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Slow and steady...and being aware of the calories/points in food really helps, as you're discovering. I love that you are exercising as a family - what a great gift you are giving to your children. :)

Lauren said...

Awww I love that you're doing this together. So motivating. It's great to see parents being such a positive influence in their children's lives.

AM! said...

i'm actually impressed that you're doing it all together. that's a hard one! kudos to you all!

Christina said...

I'm excited you involved the entire family. I think it is a good way to teach your children to make good food choices and learn to eat well. I'm officially starting to track what I eat this coming Monday. :)
I can't wait to see what healthful meals you'll have cooking this Sunday.
P.S.: I made a second batch of your red sauce. Yummy! I had it in a Crock Pot over low for many hours and the house smells like pizza.

Dr Eric Berg said...

your great! exercising together with your family s awesome. its a great way for a family bonding. good luck!

Best way to lose weight said...

Hi my name is alvin, for the best way to lose weight I used Phentermine that I ordered from m
Rapid Advertising: edsheaven.net to help me lose weight fast, it works like a charm, I lost a lot of fat weight without doing any hardcore exercises!