Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Dinner - 07/18/2010 (Party Food)

This week I didn't prepare well for Sunday Dinner. I've been feeling a bit uninspired in the kitchen lately. So this week I decided to make a few new recipes. A family friend was having a party. The recipes below are new ones to me but they are tasty and low in weight watchers points. As you know, most party food is high in calories and fat. I always try to bring a healthy dish I know my kids will eat.

The quiches were a big hit at the party. They are tasty. (If you like eggs, which I do not.) I love finding grown up finger food recipes to serve at partys. Filled wonton wrapper cups is likely to make a regular appearance at my future partys.

I'm so glad I found a recipe for veggie pasta salad. Nanny Goat has one and has been promising to share it with me. But some how after months of asking I still haven't gotten the recipe. I think she's holding out on me.


Mini Bacon and Cheese Quiches (3pts for 2)
Directions

Mini muffin tin
36 wonton wrapper
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices turkey bacon

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 36 miniature muffin cups with cooking spray. Gently press 1 wonton wrapper into each muffin cup allowing ends to extend above cups. Spray edges of wrappers with cooking spray; set aside.



Cook bacon over med-high heat until crisp. Set a side to cool.


Meanwhile, in a small pan, stir-fry onion over medium-high heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.



In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg substitute, milk and cheese.

Stir in bacon and onion until well combined. Fill each wonton wrapper with about 1 tablespoon of filling mixture.


Bake until quiche mixture is set and edges of wrappers are lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Yields 2 quiches per serving.


Veg Pasta Salad (3pts for 1cup)
Directions

14 oz (1 box) uncooked whole-wheat pasta
1/3 cup olive oil, extra virgin
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 medium green pepper
1 medium sweet red pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 yellow summer squash
1 zucchini
1 can green peas

Instructions
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse pasta with cold water; drain again and set aside.



In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, oregano, mustard, salt, black pepper and garlic to make the salad dressing. Set aside until ready to use.


Slice green pepper, red pepper, yellow squash, and zucchini into small, thin peices. Combine with peas and tomatoes.

In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta with vegetables; pour in dressing and toss thoroughly to coat. Cover and chill about 2 hours.


Of course, we had party food left-overs for dinner tonight along with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I'll try to be more inspired and organized next week.


If you have any question/comments about this recipe, pls leave me a comment or email at megmehell at yahoo dot com.

I hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I did. What did y'all have for dinner?

0 comments: