Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Dinner - 080/29/2010

Yesterday when I was considering what to eat for dinner to prepare for today's planned 11miler, I was thinking grilled fish, garlic-Parmesan pasta, and a salad. My standard go-to lean protein/carbo load night-before-race meal. Tasty but I wanted something different. Shepherd's pie met my pre-run requirements.

My mom makes the best shepherd's pie. Mine is not as good as her's. It's just not. But to qualify, like most things she cooks, she uses the full fat and calorie ingredients. And sometimes the healthy substitutions just do not hold a candle to the real stuff. Having said that, this is a good recipe. Lots of veg, lots of flavor, lean beef and carbs.

Note: I made a few errors when I made this recipe. Red potatoes do not work as well as Yukon gold for mashed potatoes. Also, be sure to measure the spices. Last night's dinner was a little too flavorful. These are rookie mistakes. I've made them before and I'll make them again. You should try not to.

Shepherd's Pie (Serves 6, 5pts)
Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients
1.5lbs potatoes
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp fat free sour cream or Greek yogurt
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
paprika, to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°.
Dice potatoes to approx. 1in cubes. (No need to peel.)


In a large pot, boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender soft, about 15-20mins. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper.


Meat Mixture
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
4 oz mushrooms, diced
20 oz corn, peas, green beans
1 cup water
3 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Directions
In a large pan, brown meat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Drain off any fat.

Add mushrooms frozen vegetables, water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, basil, oregano and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.

Spread the meat mixture in a medium casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake for 20mins in 400deg. Remove from oven and let rest for 15mins.



If you have any question/comments about this recipe, pls leave me a comment or email at megmehell at yahoo dot com.

I hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I did. What did y'all have for dinner? 

0 comments: