Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday Dinner - April 11, 2010

Yesterday, when I was thinking about what to cook for dinner tonight I thought I was going to make a stir fry. But then this morning, while laying in bed I realized I had bell peppers that need to be used. So I decided on chicken fajitas.

While not a Cajun/Creole/Italian, this is a family favorite. Growing up my mom would make this as a quick and easy dinner. I doubled this recipe to have leftovers for tomorrow's dinner.

Chicken Fajitas
Ingredients

1lb chicken
1.5cup lime juice
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
chili powder, to taste
2tbsp olive oil
1lg onion, julienned
2 bell peppers, julienned



Directions
Rub with chili powder, salt, & pepper. Slice chicken into 1/2" strips.  Marinade chicken for an hour.



In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook until soft about 15mins. Stirring occasionally.



In a separate skillet, cook the chicken over a medium heat until brown, about 10mins. Then turn the heat up to high and cook for 2mins.


When the meat and veg are complete, serve on a tortilla with cheese, salsa, and jalapeƱos. I served it today a side of black beans and cilantro-lime rice. Just a note, the whole wheat tortilla did not work out well.


We had strawberry short cake with angel food cake for dessert. It's strawberry season here in Louisiana. So I bought a flat (12 pints) and have been looking for ways to use them.  I made the cake myself. Something went horribly wrong. I didn't have a bundt pan so I used a loaf pan. This did not work out too well. At least the whip cream I made was tasty.




If you have any question/comments about this recipe, pls  leave me a comment or email at megmehell at yahoo.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my, that looks devine!!! I'm salavating right now (I had to grab a grilled chicken sandwich, sans one bun, at KFC b/c I was at a baseball game all day...ugh). I LOVE strawberry shortcake, my mom used to make that all the time when I was a kid. Do you put sugar on the strawberries for awhile so they get "juicy"???? Have a great week!! :)

Pining for Pinterest said...

I put a little sugar on the strawberies too to make them "juicy"! I hope you have a great week :)

Shelley said...

I am drooling over your strawberry shortcake...yum!!!

Judi said...

Oh I so wish it was strawberry season here! I love strawberries.

Your fajitas look yummy. I love the flavors of cilantro and lime. So fresh tasting!

Have a great week!

Laurin said...

Why didn't you like the whole wheat tortillas? I started eating them when I was pregnant with Lennox (lowering the carbs) and I still buy them. there are brands that are too thick and not pliable though. We'll have to discuss this...

AM! said...

Can you just seriously fly over to my house and cook us dinner???;-)
that looks fab. dang!

Allison said...

That looks so good!!!!!