Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Dinner - March 14 2010 (Pi Day)

Today, I had one of those days in the kitchen where you're jsut fighting a losing battle. I burned my first batch of roux flour, dirting one pot. Then had to change from the 2nd pot to a 3rd, larger one. Not enough rice for dinner. I didn't pay attention to the amount of spice I was adding and the final product was bland.

But cooking, as in running you learn to adapt. I started a second roux. I moved the sauce to a larger stock pot. I added caynne to the leftover sauce. You recover from an injury. You get over the disapointment of a bad race.

Chicken Sauce Piquante
Ingredients
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can use turkey, sausage, tasso or any boneless meat)
1 cup roux flour
2 tbsp olive oil
6oz tomato paste
1 lg onion, chopped
3 celery rib, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 cups pureed tomatoes
1 qrt chicken stock
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce

Directions
In a bowl, stir roux flour into chicken stock. Set aside.

Season chicken breats with salt & pepper. Heat up your George Forman. (When's the last time you used your George.) Cook chicken until golden brown.

In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook for 5mins. (I used a pre-chopped mix today.)

Add tomato paste, tomatoes and chicken stock/roux mixture. Blend well into the vegetable mixture, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to simmer.

Add chicken, salt, black pepper, cayenne, oregano and Worcestershire. Stir well. Cook for 45mins.

Usually, sauce piquant is served over rice but I didn't have enough for dinner. So I substitued pasta.


Happy Pi Day

Today is March 14th (3/14) or Pi day and when you have a family of engineer dorks, you end up with silly things like an apple pie with Π cut in the top crust.











Birthday Wishes
If you've got a few mins, stop by Meg Runs and get the info to send Jill some birthday love. Jill is very inspiring and a talented runner. Plus she was my bloggy valentine and sent me some really nice swag.

5 comments:

AM! said...

Seriously girl...cooking is your THANG! look into the cooking blogoshpere to make your mark;-)

Jill said...

You and Meg are sneaky girls!!!

As always, I am inspired by your amazing cooking. During my spring break from nutsyland, I'm going to totally make one of your fabulous dishes and this one has to top the charts (cuz I can't get alligator meat here in Denver. Haha). The Pi cracked me up, something I could totally see doing! Have a gerat week, girl!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I hate when I burn the roux! That is so hard to get off the pot! My mom taught me a trick of putting a fabric softener sheet with water and let it soak. I do not know how it works, but it does. I hope you have a wonderful week!

Lori said...

LOL at your Pi!!

Melissa said...

The pi is sooo very cute. Your food always looks amazing