Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Dinner - 05/23/2010 (Oil Spill Edition)

Ok. This is going to be a little long but bear with me I get to the recipe after awhile.

The past few weeks, I've been watching the news about the oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico. It's such a shame. I feel kind of like I did right after Katrina (obviously, not to the same degree). Is this the end of our way of life? Will my children be able to see SE Louisiana in all her glory like I did/do? Are crawfish/shrimp/crab boils gone forever?

You have to understand, my feelings are divided on this. I love this land. I grew up crabbing on the beach on Grand Isle. And looking for alligators in the Bayou Segnette. The fertileness, the wildness, the mosquitoes and worse...I love it.

But, I cannot villainize the oil companies. You see, they feed my family (along with many others). The Big Man works for an oil field construction company. This company (as well as the one before) has been good to him and the work is interesting. What am I to do but worry over what is coming for our estuaries and the potential loss of income?

Having said all that...I decided to make a seafood gumbo. In case the worst happens, at least my girls will have eaten Louisiana crabs and shrimp one last time. Luckily, we live with in a few mins of a fresh (right off the boat) seafood market.


Seafood Gumbo
Ingredients
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1lb shrimp, peeled or 2lbs whole
1lb lump crabmeat or crab fingers
6 whole gumbo (cleaned) crabs
2 dozen shucked oysters (if you can get it I couldn't find any)
6cups shellfish stock or water
2cups onions, chopped
1cup celery, chopped
1cup bell pepper, chopped
1/4cup garlic, minced
1lb andouille sausage, thinly sliced
1cup green onions, chopped
1/4cup parsley
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
hot sauce, to taste

Directions
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Wisk in flour a little at a time to make roux. Stir constantly until brown roux is golden brown. 

Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until veg are wilted.  Add andouille, blend well into vegetable mixture and  cook for 3mins.

Slowly add hot shellfish stock (or water),a little at a time, stirring constantly. Bring to a low boil, reduce to simmer and cook  for at least 30mins (more is always better).  Add green onions and parsley. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and hot sauce.  

 Add shrimp, crab fingers, oysters and whole crabs. Stir in gently.
 



Return to a low boil and cook until shrimp are pink. Adjust seasonings, if necessary and serve over Louisiana rice.

Of course, everyone loves this dish. How can you not if you are Cajun?! Hopefully, there will be lots of seafood gumbos to come.


If you have any question/comments about this recipe, pls leave me a comment or email at megmehell at yahoo.

2 comments:

AM! said...

I love hearing about life on the other side of the us. b/c being in California, the oil spill isn't affecting me(us) the way it is you.

so sorry about it all. ugh. and i definitely hear your both sides.

and love you made that recipe for your kids.

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is horrible about everything that happened! I totally understand where you are coming from though :) The recipe looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing :)