Monday, May 10, 2010

Sunday Dinner - 05/09/2010 (Mother's Day)

I actually started this post yesterday but didn't get a chance to finish before it was time to go visit with my mom.

Happy Mother's Day!!! Since I became a mom, I like celebrating Mother's Day by not doing anything productive. I don't want to cook or clean or put girls to bed. This may sounds silly. But like all moms I rarely sit still. So on Mother's Day, I want to just laze around. But this year was different.  We had my in-laws over for lunch, which of course mean me doing some cooking. I don't really mind since they were taking girls home with them for the week. (Remember, I'm going to Fla to watch the shuttle launch with my friends)

Actually, the Big Man did the heavy lifting, lunch wise. I just did the sides. My MIL didn't have any requests for lunch so I made easy, tasty dishes that I like; green beans with potatoes, baked potato slices (this doesn't really have a name), and broiled tomatoes with Parmesan.

Baked Potato Slices
Ingredients
1 potato per person, sliced thin
1tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
random Italian seasonings


Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350deg. Slice potatoes evenly (I like using the mandolin slicer) about  1/4in thick. In a large bowl, coat sliced potatoes  with olive oil and seasonings.



 Toss gently. Layer potatoes on a baking sheet. 


Bake for 45mins or until done.
 

Green Beans with Potatoes
Ingredients
2lbs fresh green beans
3 potatoes, 1in cubes
1tbsp olive oil
1lg onion, chopped
1/2lb bacon
1 can low sodium chicken broth
salt, to taste pepper
pepper, to taste

Directions
In a heavy bottom pot (with a lid), heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions cook until soft, about 5mins.


Chop the bacon strips into thirds. Add bacon to onions. Cook  for a few mins.


Add the potatoes and stir. Add salt and pepper.



Wash and trim the ends of the beans. Add to the pot.



Add the chicken broth and stir well. Cover. Stirring occasionally, cook for 25-35mins until potatoes are soft.

I love this dish. I like to make it for holidays in lieu green bean casserole that's loaded with sodium.


Broiled Tomatoes with Parmesan
Ingredients
4 roma tomatoes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
garlic, minced
olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
Italian seasonings,

Directions
Pre-heat the ovens broiler. Slice the tomatoes in half, down the length. 




Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper, garlic and Italian seasonings. 




Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the tomatoes. Broil for 5-7mins. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. 


I'm really happy with how the Mother's Day lunch. Minimal effort but tasty. All of these recipes can easily be halved or doubled.






If you have any question/comments about this recipe, pls leave me a comment or email at megmehell at yahoo.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Woowwww that looks amazing and healthy! Those potatoes are giving me ideas :D

Glad you had a happy Mom's day!

Shelley said...

Your side dishes look great! Thanks for the reminder about the broiled tomatoes - I haven't made them in a long time but used to love them!

Glad you had a good Mother's Day!

Jill said...

Oooo, them potatoes look yum-E! And full of carb-loading magic for long runs! I don't do bacon but the tomatoes looks awesome, too! Have a great week sans girls, I think that shuttle launch would be incredible to see!