Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's Carnival Time

I'm so excited. It's Mardi Gras season. I love the excitement of a parade, the music, the food and seeing people we only see a parades.

I have been looking for the quintessential Mardi Gras music CD for years. For some reason, this is tough to find. And after much googling, the closest I have come to is
Clarence's Top 40 Mardi Gras Songs List. I don't really agree with all of his selections but its better than nothing.


Also, I have planning (in my head) which parades we'll go to. Although parades haven't started yet, you can celebrate with a King Cake. A few years ago, I stopped at Maurice's Bakery to get a King Cake. There were no more standard King Cakes. But they did have a French King Cake. If you have not a had a French King Cake, you should leave right now and go get one. The cake consists of flaky puff pastry layers with a dense center of almond paste.

French King Cake


The standard King Cakes are as good as any other bakery.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Mmmm a whole post about king cakes (yeah, i know you talked about other stuff, but my eyes went straight to the king cake!)!!!!!!

scott said...

i was actually looking for a recipe for making a king cake and saw a video on food network's website and they talked about Maurice's! i had never even heard of that bakery before. that french king cake does look good.